- OPTIMISTS INDUCT TWO NEW MEMBERS: Both Karen and Carol are ready to earn the nickname “Achievers”. Both of them have a very positive attitude and will help the Optimist Club of Carlsbad “The Achievers” move forward at warp speed. Some of the projects the club takes part in: Special Olympics, Stand Up For Kids, Youth Oratorical Contests, Boy and Girl Scout events, Got Your Back San Diego, Guide On Holiday Event, Pro Kids / First Tee Event, Super Bowl-A-Thon, and many other projects that benefit youth.
- OPTIMISTS HOST MARTHA WASHINGTON AND HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS: Optimist Club of Carlsbad — “The Achievers” recently had a wonderful surprise. Ginny Unanue dressed as Martha Washington for the Halloween day Optimist Club meeting to surprise her fellow members. Having taught in Carlsbad for 38 years, she recounted stories of having visited classrooms in costume as Martha on George Washington’s Birthday each year, telling stories about him, and passing out cherries to the students. William Maas is a second-term ASB President at Sage Creek High School and is instrumental in helping us grow our membership by establishing a Junior Optimist club at Sage Creek High School. Outstanding Projects Manager for 2014-2015: Ginny Unanue, also was awarded from our President, Irene Chow, for managing one of our most significant projects during the entire year — Stand Up for Kids — and coordinating with most of our club members each month. Ginny is also very involved in other club activities.
- THE OPTIMISTS OF CARLSBAD ACHIEVERS AT CARLSBAD VILLAGE STREET FAIRE: Members of the Optimist Club of Carlsbad – “The Achievers” promoted the Club’s charter of helping to bring out the best in kids in the community while selling items to raise funds for its 20 service projects throughout the year.
- OPTIMISTS HELP AT KELLY ELEMENTARY CARNIVAL: On Saturday, October 17, the Optimists had great fun watching the kids of Kelly Elementary School in their Halloween costumes spin the hand-crafted, one-of-a-kind Spin Wheel (made by club member Don Elling) for a prize. When the Optimists help out at events, such as the Kelly Elementary Carnival, with their optimism and fun approach, they do “bring out the best in the kids” of our community.
- OPTIMISTS HOSTS SAGE CREEK GIRLS GOLF TEAM: Optimist Club of Carlsbad “The Achievers” hosted the Sage Creek Girls Golf Team on Saturday, September 12. The girls golf team currently comprise freshman, sophomore, and junior students, as Sage Creek High School is Carlsbad’s newest high school. The girls golf team’s CIF season starts in November, and the team’s funding comes mostly from fundraiser’s and donations. The girls and their spokesperson, Jennifer Sim, impressed upon the Optimist Club members their enthusiasm with golf and their optimism towards their greater achievements of the future.
- OPTIMISTS HOST BOY SCOUT AND MEALS-ON-WHEELS: On Saturday, August 22, the Optimist Club of Carlsbad “The Achievers” hosted two guest speakers. We learned about a project involving building a wooden table-like display Boy Scout Keith Pereira is working on for the library at school Sage Creek High. This project is for his Eagle Scout badge. The display will hold featured books at the library. Keith is working with a piece of Oak wood (60-in x 22-in x 2 in), which was chopped down during the building of Sage Creek High School. The school saved the wood and asked Keith to use it for the display case.When finished, the display case dimensions will be 52-in (l) x 22-in (h). He is expecting to complete this project within the first week or so after school starts The second guest speaker was volunteer Melinda Brady from Meals-On-Wheels Great San Diego County. Meals-on-Wheels delivers the following items prepared by volunteers to seniors over the age of 60 years. Meals-On-Wheels provides: Welcome Packets (usually prepared by student volunteers); Care Packages of Donated Items; Bouquets of Sunflowers; Lunch and Dinners (prepared by their kitchen in Little Italy in San Diego). For more information, visit: www.meals-on-wheels.org
- OPTIMISTS RECOGNIZE CARLSBAD POLICE OFFICER OF THE YEAR: On Saturday, August 15, The Optimist Club of Carlsbad recognized Corporal Rick Galanos, Jr. as the “Officer of the Year.” Rick’s accomplishments during his 25 years with the Carlsbad Police Department includes: Head of the Explorers Program for junior cadets; Spearheading the “Guide On” program to support local families of fallen soldiers; and Head of the outreach police division. Rick also spent 22 years as a field training officer for the department. Lieutenant Greg White described Rick as a “detailed and task-oriented officer who works hard 12 hours or more each day. It was a ‘hands down’ decision to honor Rick as Officer of the Year.” Rick is most proud of celebrating his 27-year wedding anniversary with his wife, Mary, whom he thanked for all of her support. Rick and Mary have 5 children. Greg and Rick described their daily responsibilities and challenges, which turned into a learning experience for all members including our young guests, who attended the meeting. The Optimists Club of Carlsbad appreciate these officers for their time and dedication to helping our community.
- OPTIMISTS HOST GUEST SPEAKER KAREN LINDSTROM, RED STORM PROMOTIONS: The Optimist Club of Carlsbad “The Achievers” recently hosted Karen Lindstrom, President of RED STORM PROMOTIONS. Karen gave a fun and detailed presentation on just how her company helps Non-Profits, other businesses and organizations on ways her company can help with Marketing and promoting any type of business.
- OPTIMISTS HOST ROSE WARING OF PROJECT LINUS: Optimist Club of Carlsbad “The Achievers” recently hosted a very interesting and positive guest speaker. Rose Waring, from Project Linus’ San Diego North County Coastal Chapter, brought a story of the beginnings of Project Linus by one woman who made a blanket and gave it to a little girl who was having cancer treatments at a Denver, Colorado Cancer Treatment Center. From that simple act of caring was born an organization which now has approximately four hundred chapters nationally. The project name was inspired by the Linus Character from Charles Schultz’a Peanuts comic strip. Each Chapter has a Volunteer Coordinator who takes care of the administrative duties and often is involved in hands-on distribution of the blankets and quilts to children, from birth through age eighteen. The local Chapter for Project Linus is powered by members of Altrusa International’s San Diego North County Coastal Club (www.altrusasdncc.org) whose primary focus is Literacy. Project Linus is a 501(C)(3)
- GARY GLASER, GM OF EL CAMINO COUNTRY CLUB IS OPTIMISTIC: Optimist Club of Carlsbad “The Achievers” recently had the distinct pleasure of having Gary Glaser give a very positive and enjoyable presentation. His presentation skills are excellent. Summary of Gary’s presentation: ” A.C.T.”, Acknowledge, Communicate/Confirm and Take Action. Plus, the club had two potential new members attend to find out just what an Optimist Club does. Also attending were the Optimists Lt. Governor David Eller and Audrey Eller. Both David and Audrey gave brief presentations on projects they manage. Optimist Clubs work with youth in many venues, such as: SPECIAL OLYMPICS, providing assistance for homeless kids, Guide On-providing holiday events for youth that have lost a parent in the Military, Oratorical contests , Boy and Girl Scout projects and many other venues. Guests are always welcome, club meetings are generally held 9:00 am-10:00 am at the El Camino Country Club, Saturday mornings. To earn money for the events, the club has a few events a year. One event, generates much of the money needed to carry on.
On Monday , Sept 21, 2015 the club will host its 19th Annual Golf Tournament at the El Camino Country Club. For the first time, pricing will be tiered for golfers. until July 31st registration fee is $135.00. After July 31st registration fee for golfers is $150.00. After August 31st he fee for golfers is $175.00. If your business or as an individual, you would like to help us, please contact our President, Irene Chow for more specific info and how to be a sponsor.
This year/years LIVE AUCTION includes at 47-inch high-definition outdoor TV (with built in speakers), and a rolling cart/stand donated by Peerless-AV. The outdoor TV is perfect for those who want to watch sports or movies while enjoying their outdoor living area. Two nights at MARRIOTT GAS LAMP in San Diego, plus many other items, including Gift Cards for many venues. Plus Tournament includes: Golf fees/carts, practice balls, golf gift, shotgun scramble, BBQ lunch & DINNER, appetizers, beverages, awards, live entertainment, jazz sax and comedy host, cigar rolling, putting contest, silent auction and many raffle prizes.
EVENTS: CLOSEST TO THE PIN, LONGEST DRIVE, LOW GROSS, LOW NET FOR MEN AND WOMEN, $1,000.00 BALL DROP, Hole-in-One contest by North County Hyundai and Weseloh Chevrolet (some exclusions may apply).
Please go to our web site for more details: www.optimistclubofcarlsbad.org;